I am a little intimidated of baking. There I said it.
I don’t know why but I am afraid I am going to completely mess it up…put too little sugar, too much salt, forget an ingredient, not bake it long enough, or even bake it too long and dry it out. Baking is not like cooking where I can just experiment and throw in a little bit of this and a dash of that, to taste. Rather, I believe that baking is like a science experiment that must be followed exactly in order to perfect. Regular bakers may beg to differ, but this is a very small and personal fear that I have, and I am working to overcome that fear by trying new recipes whenever the mood strikes me.
I LOVE to be in the kitchen, and have been couch-ridden due to an emergency appendicitis and appendectomy I endured last week. Needless to say, as I was resting, I watched a LOT of Cooking Channel and Food Network and watching these various chefs inspired me to try something new. Something that is not too difficult, that I can test and share with my family and friends.
So here it is!! Grab your Kitchen Aid and have some fun making these tasty Blueberry Lemon Scones – they were quick, easy to make, and soooooo delicious!! The best part is, everything you need to make these scones are most likely what every mom keeps stocked in her house at all times (or at least I do!)
Here’s what you need:
- 2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour (plus a little bit more for counter or pastry mat when dusting and folding dough)
- 1/4 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 6 Tablespoons of COLD, Unsalted Butter – Cut into Small Cubes
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Lemon Zest
- 1/4 Cup of Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Dash of Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/8 Cups of Fresh Blueberries, Washed & Dried
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer*
*Not limited to Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer; any stand mixer will do with Paddle attachment. You may also be able to use a food processor with dough blade.
Here’s what do you do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Using your stand mixer bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt) with your COLD cubed butter. Start at LOW speed for about 30 second and then increase to MEDIUM speed until butter is broken in to small pieces throughout the dry mixture.
- Add in the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Keep mixer at low speed until all of the dough is combined and moist.
- Use a spatula to get all of the dough from your paddle and sides of bowl and add to a lightly floured flat surface (I used a pastry mat, but a countertop or cutting board will work great).
- Gently FOLD in the blueberries throughout the entire mixture of dough, but be careful not to break the berries.
- Once you have incorporated all of your blueberries, form the dough into a long rectangle (about 10 inches or so long) and 1 inch or so thick.
- Create your scones by cutting the rectangle in half into two squares, then diagonally cut each square in half, and then make another cut diagonally in half again. You should have 8 triangles total. I cut some of the extra large pieces in half once again and formed 10 scones total of various sizes (completely optional).
- Place the scones on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1-2 inches ap art from each other.
- Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, 17-21 minutes, depending on oven power. Mine were baked perfectly at 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then serve with your favorite cup of coffee or tea!!!
Follow me on social media @happyandhealthymama
Recipe inspired by Cooking Channel