A high-fat food that’s good for your health? It’s not an oxymoron, it’s almonds. Almonds contain a high source of vitamin E, copper, magnesium, and high quality protein, along with healthy unsaturated fatty acids, and other vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. All of this can help prevent cardiovascular heart disease and help lower cholesterol.
Sure it’s great to snack on almonds whole, but have you ever thought about all of the other dishes you could make with these protein-packed, fatty-filled (the good kind), antioxidant-rich little gems of the food world?? I love to make almond flour from scratch (it’s super easy) and bake delicious, semi-sweet loaves of bread with them; some loaves are plain, some have raisins, some even have fresh cut apples & walnuts. Whatever combination you choose, you can now enjoy a tasty bread, without the guilt of all of the added carbs, sugars, and gluten.
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Almond Bread
Recipe Makes 1 Loaf of Almond Bread
How to make Almond Flour –
I use Silvered Blanched Almonds (you could choose almond with the skin, but that is just my preference). With the food processor, I pulse the almonds until they become a flour-like consistency. Usually, I make a lot of almond flour in advance so that I have for future loaves. The recipe below takes 3 1/2 cups of almond flour per loaf of bread.
- 3 1/2 cups of almond flour
- 3/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt (not table salt)
- About 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- A handful of organic raisins (optional)
- 4 large cage-free, organic eggs
- 1 Tbsp of raw organic honey
- 3/4 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix all DRY ingredients in a bowl (almond flour, baking soda, sea salt, unsweetened coconut flakes, and raisins if using)
- In a separate bowl, whisk WET ingredients (eggs, honey, and apple cider vinegar)
- Pour wet mixture into bowl of dry ingredients and mix together until thoroughly mixed together
- Spray bread load pan with nonstick baking spray
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 300 degrees (F)
I have also made Apple, Walnut Almond Bread using the same ingredients (minus the raisins) and instructions as above, but add 1 peeled Fuji apple (washed with Eat Cleaner Fruit & Vegetable Wash) and diced into very small cubes and 1/4 cup of chopped raw walnuts.
Please note: Apple Walnut Almond did not last as long as Raisin Almond Bread due to the moisture from the apple, so enjoy quickly! 🙂